Oh yes, many a fine blogger have subjected themselves to such challenges, be it taking photos every day, or baking through an entire book, writing thank you notes, or ??? Will I succeed??..I am as certain as finding my Prince Charming (to replace the grumpy guy sitting next to me on the sofa, who touches his IPAD more than me).
My first project from the first book is in the spirit of Valentines, a heart-shaped potholder.
|I didn't follow the pattern exactly, adding a bit of gathers down the center.|
Chinese Dumplings & Potstickers
1 pkg. gyoza wrapper
1 pound ground pork
1 cup won bok / Napa cabbage
3 stalks green onions
7 shiitake mushrooms, minced
1/4 cup ginger root, minced
3 T. soy sauce
2 T. sesame oil
2 T. cornstarch
- Soak shiitake mushrooms in hot water if using dried mushrooms. Soak first for 3 minutes, then rinse to remove any grit. Then, soak in warm water for 30 minutes to soften. Mince.
- Combine all filling ingredients in a large mixing bowl; mix thoroughly.
- Assemble gyoza : Place about 1 teaspoon of filling in the center of the gyoza wrapper Leave enough dough around the filling to allow you to close the warpper without the filling oozing out. Brush edges of wrapper lightly with water. Pinch top edges together and while holding it; pleat the edges using your finger to create a fold.
- At this point, the dumplings can be frozen for future use : Place dumplings on a pan; without sides touching. Freeze about 20 to 30 minutes until no longer soft. Place in ziploc bag. Freeze up to 2 months. When preparing frozen dumplings allow extra cooking time.
- To Boil : Bring a large pot of water to boil and add dumpling to pot. Boil dumpling until they float. At this point the dumplings are fully cook. Remove from water.
- To Steam : Using a bamboo steamer, place dumplings on a well greased surface and steam for about 6 minutes.
- To Pan Fry : Place dumplings in a frying pan with 2 to 3 T of vegetable oil. Heat on high and fry for a few minutes until bottoms are golden. Add 1/2 cup water and cover pan. Cook until the water has boiled away. Uncover and reduce heat to medium or medium low. Let the dumplings cook for another 2 minutes then remove from heat and serve.
Don't forget the dipping sauce ~
2 parts soy sauce
1 part vinegar (red wine )
a few drops sesame oil
sugar to taste
chili garlic sauce (optional)
minced garlic (optional)
minced ginger (optional)
minced green onions (optional)
Until next time ~ Happy Day