Hello October

Oh Oh...here we are at the starting gates on our race towards Christmas...on the mark, get ready, GO GO GO.  If I don't watch my thinking, I easily fall into a stressful anticipation of what lies ahead between now and December...and for us local folks, NEW YEARS is another day of cooking, cooking, and more cooking. At these times, I hate the holidays...I truly do.  :o(

But as my brother would say, "take it easy".  Yes, my friends, let's enjoy the moment of 'now'.  Yesterday, I did just that, having lunch with a friend then treating myself to a quiet moment sipping a  Matcha Tea Latte with Matcha ice cream; perusing my latest Japanese craft book.  Yes; a quiet moment is good; I think.

Today I'm having lunch with my sister and cousin.  And to be nice; because I am nice ... when I feel in the mood; this morning I made a treat for them .... Mochi with Peanut Butter filling.

Mochi is really popular here; with many of us having Japanese grass roots. I love this recipe; its easy and the mochi is so soft; just the right texture and the peanut butter filling makes this a yummy treat. ^^

If you like sweet and if you like peanut butter, then you will love these ^^
I used a recipe from this youtube video on how to make mochi ice cream.  I really love The Tofu Guru, she has spunk and charisma; and it helps that the video is so well made.

I've made peanut butter mochi before and found it bothersome but the recipe for the mochi and method on the video was so easy. I'll definitely be making mochi ice cream soon. ^^



The Tofu Guru Mochi Ice Cream Recipe (I substituted peanut butter for the ice cream)

To prepare Ice Cream

1 quart of vanilla ice cream or your favorite flavor

Scoop a third or so of the softened ice cream in a bowl and add flavoring of your choice. The Tofu Guru used matcha powder for one batch, red beans for a second batch, and the remaining plain vanilla ice cream as the third batch.

Either return the bowls of ice cream to the freezer or if you have a mini cupcake pan then scoop the ice cream into the cupcake pan and place into the freezer

To prepare the Mochi

Heat 2 cups of water in the microwave.  In a microwave bowl, combine 2 cups of sugar and the 2 cups of water.  Mix until the sugar is melted.

Mix in 2 cups of sweet rice flour (mochiko).  Cover the bowl with clear wrap and microwave for 5 minutes.  Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave and being careful again, remove the clear wrap.  Mix the mochi well.  Then cover again and return to the microwave for 5 more minutes (I left it in for 2.5 minutes)
Sweet Rice Flour : Mochiko
Prepare your mochi work surface : Place a couple of pieces of clear wrap on your counter.  Generously dust the surface with Potato Starch (this is similar in look to the sweet rice flour and can be most likely found in the same section of the market) or cornstarch (the dusting helps the mochi from sticking).

Place the mochi on the clear wrap and generously dust with the potato starch or cornstarch.  Using a rolling pin, roll the mochi to about 1/2" thick.

Using a round cookie cutter (3 to 3.25") or cup/bowl, cut circles of mochi (you will not be able to re-roll the mochi as with pie crust or cookie dough so cut efficiently as possible).

Place the frozen ice cream in the center of the circle and pinch the ends of the mochi together.

Eat right away or place in the freezer to enjoy later.

Peanut Butter Version

Place peanut butter in the center of the mochi and pinch the ends of the mochi together.

For this version, I like to add more potato starch to the completed mochi to prevent sticking.  I saw a mochi shop; add the mochi to a large strainer and toss to coat with the potato starch.   So this is how I do it now; assures a more even coating of dusting.

Instead of dusting the outside of the filled mochi with potato starch, you can also use a Kinako (soybean flour) coating. This is how I like to eat my mochi but for today I didn't have any Kinako on hand. 

Mix the following and dust the filled mochi
1/2 cup kinako
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

NOTE : the air will dry out the mochi so it is best to keep it tightly sealed or wrapped in clear wrap

The Mochi with Peanut Butter Filling is packed all pretty-like. My sister is going to love me for this.


Before I sign off, here's a recent project for my etsy shop...A Mini Tote Bag with a hand crochet 'white' rabbit and clock.  The inside lining is an Alice in Wonderland themed fabric.  I used this mini tote tutorial with a small bit of modification; adding the band along the top.
.



happy day (*^-^*)
kat

6 comments:

  1. I have never tried mochi and peanut butter! Saitama has a 'famous' cake called yuki no ichigo. It is the soft chewy mochi and inside is fresh cream and a fresh strawberry - sooo good but sooo messy to eat! Hmmm, I really fancy one now lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That mochi looks good! I'd never tried it but sounds very interesting. Your tote also looks good, the fabric choice is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried mochi, but I'm thinking of having a go at it as everyone in our house loves peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi All ~ Oh yes..mochi + peanut butter = heaven. The mochi shops here sell ones with the peanut butter filling but they are quite expensive. And the ones filled with ice cream can be found in most markets and COSTCO! Love that I can make them at home ... Jo, the Strawberries with cream; sounds like a tasty combination; I'm going to try to track down a recipe ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lil' tote bag is adorable. Love the crochet rabbit and clock. :)

    Ooh, I just had to try the peanut butter mochi. I made some the other day and I also made some filled with Nutella. That was Yum-O!! :)

    Thanks for the recipe. I always used to bake my mochi, but this way was sooo much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rebma ^&^

    Nutella?!? oh yeah that sounds ONOLIOCIOUS ^^

    I'm usually afraid to do mochi in the micro because you can easily overcook it; believe me I've done that. But this recipe works out like magic..so good.

    I'm glad you tried it ^^ have a good one. kat

    ReplyDelete