A Kawaii Zakka Russian Doll Teapot Cozy

It's weird that I collect teapots although I'm not a daily tea drinker. In a recent kitchen decluttering effort, I found about 8 teapots ranging from teeny tiny to large pots.  Of the eight, 2 pots from England are keepers (I received these when my nephew was stationed there), along with a couple of Japanese teapots. I'm still deciding on a teapot my mom bought in Europe; a mini red metal pot.  The pot went into the donation bag, then out again.  It's so difficult to let go things that I have a fondness for. 

In my own psychoanalysis, I think I equate the teapots with this image of of daintily sipping tea while nibbling on a lavender scone;  tossed back into an era with Jane Austen and her lady friends; a moment of peaceful comfort.

I LOVE period movies and stories based in Old England...old Merchant Ivory films (The Remains of the Day, Howards End ... ); Jane Austen stories (Pride and Prejudice, Emma, ... ); watching some of these movies over and over.  I love the old English accent and their way of conversation. How can you not fall in love with Mr. Darcy when he shares :  "Miss Elizabeth. I have struggled in vain and I can bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment. I came to Rosings with the single object of seeing you... I had to see you. I have fought against my better judgment, my family's expectations, the inferiority of your birth by rank and circumstance. All these things I am willing to put aside and ask you to end my agony." swoon.

A "facebook friend" suggested I make a teapot cozy.   Once upon a time I attempted such a project; wanting to make a Russian Doll design.  I had a picture in my head but couldn't figure how to make it and gave up after a few tries.  This time, for some reason, it was not difficult at all. 


My Zakka Russian Doll Teapot Cozy : I really LOVE working with felt; although a bit time consuming to sew on the pieces; creating kawaii vignettes. To cut most of the pieces I use my Cuttlebug die cut machine, nestabilities dies, and sizzix dies.  The cat is from a drawing my son did for me.


The cozy fits a standard teapot that holds up to 6 teacups of tea.  Inside, the cozy is lined with a cotton fabric and a layer a cotton batting.

If you'd like to make one here's the pattern of the tea pot silhouette (no pattern for the design) with a list of instructions : A Kawaii Zakka Russian Doll Teapot Cozy Pattern  (Print on standard copy paper; 81/2"x11").  Please let me know if this link should ever fail to work..thank you.

till next time...Pip Pip Cheerio !

Happy Day ^ ^
kat

1 comment: