Oishii : A Most Delicious Banana Bread with Blueberries

Man cannot live on bread alone..but I think this most delicious Banana Blueberry Bread may be an exception.  It's filled with the goodness of bananas, toasted walnuts, coconut flakes, and those blueberries that I ran to market for yesterday; not to mention butter and sugar.


My picture doesn't do the bread justice.  One of my resolutions this year is to improve my photo taking.  It's damn hard to take a nice pic...really it is.  This pic is too 'forced'... the look and feel isn't natural compared to the beautiful pics on the noble pig website of the same banana bread.  Yumminess oozes from her pictures doesn't it? 

The Hungry Housewife's Banana Bread
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
4 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup buttermilk (okay to substitute with 1/3 cup milk + 1 tsp white vinegar; let it sit for 5 min+)
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted
1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (thawed), plus a handful for sprinkling on top
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Toast the walnuts: place in large skillet over medium heat and cook until fragrant and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Usually around 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.

Cream together butter and sugar until white and fluffy; about three minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.  Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixture alternating with buttermilk.  Start and end with dry ingredients.

Stir in mashed bananas, coconut, vanilla, 1 cup blueberries and walnuts. 

Lightly grease or line with parchment two 8 x 4 loaf pans.  Fill both pans with batter; top with a handful of blueberries.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with only a slight amount of crumbs on it.

I just had another piece while writing this post...the bread is so moist and tender. I can't until tomorrow to have another one (due to weight problems; my banana bread intake is rationed to one a day).  sigh.

4 comments:

  1. What a delightful blog! But some of the phot links are broken! I hope you can fix them (or its merely my internet being bad) because I love your photos :) May I add you to my own blog for "blogs I enjoy" list? ~Bethanee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bethanee ~~ I'm happy happy that you like my blog. Not sure about the photo links...are you trying to get to my photo gallery? If so, then the problem could be that I use photobucket for my blog which is not for public view because it's messy..LOL. I do have a flickr gallery...& now that I look at my blog I don't see a link..oh oh...I need to add one. AND I'd like to be part of your blog! thanks for visiting! kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this today :) Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know when to come over for a piece..or two..heh

    ReplyDelete