Hello Interfacing

Okay, I now have a general working guideline of what interfacing to use for things that I make.  I am not an expert but an expert-wanna-be!

I did attempt another Kutsu Bag with a different interfacing. This time I used a fusible mid weight, Pellon 931TD on the exterior fabric and Pellon 911FF, a fusible featherweight, on the lining. There is a nice structure to the bag, no softness, and easy to bend. I think this combination will work nicely for a simple tote bag.

Made with a Cotton Linen Blend
As my third experiment, I decided on making a different tote for a bit of a change...a mini tote bag.  While in Japan, I noticed many ladies on the train carrying these little tote bags...perhaps to carry their bento lunches, books, or a crafty project!  I bought this one from a department store...not too cute but I chose 'cheap'.


In the ever popular Zakka Sewing book, many of the projects called for cotton batting; with the book also suggesting woven interfacing over non-woven if one is used.

So I decided to use cotton batting for this bag. 

Made with Cotton Fabric

Here's the low down :

  • the cotton batting was easy to work with
  • as you can see it does add a bit of structure but in a short time and with use the bag will become limp-ish; which is okay for this style of bag
  • the batting adds a wee bit of thickness and softness
I don't mind that the bag will be soft and limp which is similar to the canvas bag I purchased. 

This is what my interfacing guideline looks like ... not much but hopefully it will save me a few gray hairs

Firstly for zakka items sewn with linen or cotton linen blends : Use a medium weight woven interfacing to help stop the edges from the linen from raveling and to give the linen structure before cutting. Then use cotton batting or polyester batting for softness.  For things like hot pads for pot handles or tea pot handles, use cotton batting and double. Skip the batting if a very natural looking bag is the desired effect. (mid-weight woven interfacing: Form Flex All Purpose (works well on most medium weight cotton fabrics or Pellon Stacey Shape Flex (SF101) which adds no thickness; just support and shape)

Secondly for pouches : Use 987 (lightweight)  Pellon fusible fleece for structure, softness, and thickness

Thirdly for simple totes & bags with no structure. : As a general guide: Use medium weight woven interfacing for handles & 987 fusible fleece as interfacing.

Note: TP970 Thermolam Plus is a fleece that seems to be popular for things requiring extra padding and structure.

I don't plan to make highly structured bags like those of Amy Butler's...because gosh darn, they're just tooo difficult for my sewing skills!

Here are couple of links on interfacing that I liked
Interfacing guide from Amy Butler on Sew Mama Sew
Bag making for Newbies on U-handbag (this one has pictures of different style bags along with the type of interfacing to use)

Happy Sewing !

No comments:

Post a Comment