Memories

The air is still. I hear the chirping of a single bird, probably perched on the top of a neighbor’s roof. The house is quiet except for the sound of keyboard clicks as I type my blog update. I feel this time is the quiet before the storm. A moment before the stores barrage us with incessant sale ads on TV, in the mail, on the internet, and in newspapers. When shoppers clog parking lots and wait in long lines then tote bags of gifts back home where they’ll spend hours wrapping, wrapping, and wrapping. On the bright side, it’s a whole lot better than watching one political ad after another.

Is this really a holiday season? In our own world, our family celebrates Christmas with a dinner at our house. It costs a few bucks to put together which disturbs my hubby. I always have to remind him that we are creating memories. Memories that my nieces and nephews will carry with them as they move into the world of adulthood. Memories that the aunts and uncles will carry with them as they move into their senior years. One year my little niece tried to fill a balloon with water …. From the toilet! Hahaha. Yup memories…are priceless.

I need to get to the COSTCO to buy a few dozen eggs to start baking pies for tomorrow’s Thanksgiving. I do like baking. I do like eating what I bake. But before I go, I want to share with you my latest craft experiment, coloring fabric with colored pencils. The great thing about using colored pencils is that you can color as you would normally, so no special skill is required….PLUS, it’s cheap (unless you opt to use artist’s level colored pencils). Fabric doll makers often use colored pencils to draw in their doll faces, along with gel pens or crayons, etc. So there's a bit of information on the internet if you'd like to learn more. For me, I like simple so it's just stamp, color, and sew. Done.

I love Penny Black rubber stamps because of the detail and because the designs are so darn cute! And I like that the image on the wood mount is colored so I simply can follow the same color scheme. Life is much easier this way. But of course you can use your own favorite stamp, or find an image on the internet, or simply draw to your own delight.

Here's the first attempt ~

I admit..I darken the colors a bit in photoshop..heh

Ready to get ChristmasSY? 

Materials
  • Good quality cotton fabric with a tight weave (i.e. good quality muslin)
  • Rubber stamp
  • Rubber stamp ink pad - refer to the back of the ink pad to check if it's suitable for fabric. I used the Palette brand for my ornaments
  • Colored Pencils - you can use any brand from what I read but the artist type pencil makes coloring easier
  • To set the color : There are several options based on internet searches : brush on a textile medium or apply a clear spray (i.e., Krylon brand).  Read the instructions carefully before making a purchase. Textile mediums may require minutes to hours to days to set.  Sprays require a well-ventilated area may add an 'odor' to your project.  
  • Felt, Sewing Thread/Embroidery Thread, Ribbon for loop, Bell
Okay, let's get started with the fun stuff

Step 1 : Be sure to ink your stamp well.  Firmly stamp your image on your fabric.


Step 2 : Coloring Example : Hat : I picked a light red and dark red.  It's best to color in lightly then gradually add more coloring until you're happy with the result.  I started with the light red then layered over the darker red.  I then go over again with the light red to smooth out the color.  I'm not an expert on coloring on fabric so I use the same technique as I do with handmade cards.  Continue coloring the rest of the hedgehog.



Step 3 :  After coloring, it is typical to set the colors in with a clear spray or a textile medium.  I opted to NOT apply a medium of any kind.  After all this is just an ornament so the less fuss the better.

Step 4 : Cut 2 pieces of felt and a ribbon for the loop. Pin the loop in place.  Sew pieces together with 3strands of embroidery thread.  Lightly stuff your ornament and continue with sewing.  Make a bow and attach.  Add a bell.  TA DA



Tip :  Stabilize the fabric with freezer paper or iron on interfacing (I didn't do this step but an option)

I'm a paper crafter so I have a LOT of tools to make cards and scrapbooks.  I used a die cut machine to cut out the scallop shapes.  But these ornaments will be fabulous in any shape!

3 comments:

  1. What a darling tutorial! Thank you!
    Cerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. waooo..nice blog...cute effort...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for visiting ! We'll be putting up our (fake) Christmas tree next week...so my ornaments will finally have a home ~

    ReplyDelete