"Do You Hear What I Hear" ?

I was looking through my Japanese craft books when I found the simplest fabric book cover pattern.
The book cover I made fits books from 3/4" thick to 1 1/2" thick. This is the 1 1/2" book.

There are only a few basic steps so please don't sneeze and close your eyes or you'll miss the tutorial!!

Measurements for Cutting Fabric for My Book-9 1/4" (h) x 16 1/4" (w)
  Measurements for Width
  1. Measure the width of the cover and multiply by 2 (for front and back cover)
  2. Measure spine and add to width
  3. Add 4 inches for inside flaps (2 inches each front and back flaps)
  4. Add 1 inch for seams (1/2 inch seams x 2)
Measurements for Height
  1.  Measure the height of the cover
  2. Add 1 inch for seams ( 1/2 inch seams x 2)

Materials
  1. Pick the loveliest fabric in your collection
  2. Cut one fabric piece for the outside
  3. Cut one fabric piece for the inside
  4. Cut interfacing 1" less from width and height ( I used Pellon 911FF - Fusible web)
  5. Prepare bookmark to baste to right side of the outside piece (optional)



Assemble
  1. Iron fusible web to the outside fabric
  2. Pin together the right sides of the outside and inside fabrics
  3. Baste the bookmark to the right side of the inside fabric
  4. Sew along all edges; leaving a 2" gap along the bottom edge for turning


Finishing

oops, this is a different book cover
  1. Press 
  2. To determine size of flaps, open the book cover, and with book in place; fold over the flaps to fit the book (not to snug). Pin flaps in place
  3. Top stitch along top and bottom edges ( I used a 1/4" edger sewing foot ). The top stitching secures flaps.
  4. Check the "gap" used for turning. Is it sewn closed with the top stitch? If not then go ahead and close the gap with a ladder stitch. This is the video that helped me with the ladder stitch.

That's it!

Now that you have the basics...have fun personalizing your book covers with pretty embroidery, felt, flowers, appliques, quilting, button art, fabric photos, kid's handwork, and ???

I did this one patterned as a house ....

.... please come in for a spot of tea


(Christmas music melody) "Do you hear what I hear?" Oh yeah, Christmas bells are a' ringing in the near distance.  Pledging handmade will be a bit easier with this simple book cover pattern in your repertoire.  Enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely! I made some book covers too (from linen) a few weeks ago! But yours are so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi! i ♥ your idea! i am crediting you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fun gift idea. Buy someone a book and make a cover with a pocket in it to put a tag or a card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks all for stopping for a visit...now that I've done book covers..I'm on to book markers!...next thing? I guess i should get a book to read..hah. enjoy, kat

    ReplyDelete